DO YOU WANT A STREET LIBRARY FOR YOUR STREET?
As part of the Library Week celebrations, Port Macquarie Hastings Council is giving away 10 FREE Street Libraries to budding reading champions who live in our Local Government Area. This is a $300 street library for just $0…..all you have to do is build it, install it, launch it – and love it!
The program is open to anyone in the area – we’re looking for community-minded people from across our region to share the love of reading. The library must be installed on property you control, which may be private, or school grounds.
WHAT IS A STREET LIBRARY?
Take a book ~ give a book ~ share a book
Street Libraries are a beautiful home for books, planted in your front yard. They are accessible from the street, and are an invitation to share the joys of reading with your neighbours.
Street Libraries are a window into the mind of a community; books come and go; no-one needs to check them in or out. People can simply reach in and take what interests them; when they are done, they can return them to the Street Library network, or pass them on to friends.
If anyone has a book or two that they think others would enjoy, they can just pop it into any Street Library they happen to be walking past.
WHAT ARE MY RESPONSIBILITIES AS A STREET LIBRARY OWNER?
If you would like to apply to be a part of Council’s Library Week Street Library Program you would need to commit to the following:
- Be able to attend a workshop in Port Macquarie to build your street Library – on one of the dates below:
- Host a street party to launch your street library before Library Week and take photos of your event to share on social media (Council will help with sample invitations and also contribute $50 towards the hosting of your street party)
- Attend a launch event at the Port Macquarie-Hastings Library during Library Week to launch the project.
- Be willing to have your library (and therefore street address) promoted on the Street Library website
- Provide ongoing care for your library.
To apply, fill out the form below – be sure to include the address of your proposed library. Applications close Sunday 7th April.
Click here to apply http://mnclibrary.org.au/street-library/
open ONLY to Port Macquarie-Hastings residence